Wednesday, February 18, 2015

An over-flowing heart

This past week-end - Valentine's week-end, Daniel and I were invited to give a conference for couples in a church in Terrebonne, north of Montreal. What a joy! I didn't know if I was going to have enough energy to particpate or not. However, once again, God was faithful to renew my strength and I was able to teach with Daniel. All went very well.

I am always amazed at the truth of when we are willing to give we also receive so much in return. I was very moved to meet up again with people who were a regular part of my life when we lived in Repentigny, but who, because of distance and just plain life have drifted out of our lives. What a joy to see each other again after many years! I also received much encouragement from those people (some of whom I didn't know before) who told me they had been praying for us. So much love was communicated through a simple smile, handshake, hug or the sharing of similar trials. My heart was touched deeply. In French there is an expression which translates in English: "love gives wings" or "loves makes you soar". I feel as if I received new wings this past week-end. In a book I'm reading called "My Grandfather's Blessings", written by a doctor/psychiatristrist who works with people who have life-threatening diseases, we read a sentence that describes exactly what I experienced. She writes: "Sometimes just being in someone's presence is strong medicine." Thank you to those, who by your presence brought great encouragement to my heart!

When we arrived home on Saturday we find the house all decorated and the table set with a beautiful red tablecloth, all ready for our Valentine's Day supper as a family. We heat up a meal previously prepared for us with love by a dear friend and enjoy it together as we listen to the melodious voice of Charles Aznavour serendade us. Savouring those moments together!

Thursday, if all goes well with my white blood cell count, I will have my fourth chemo treatment. The thought of going in again for chemo does not appeal to me at all, especially knowing that this time it is a new drug and also I will have to soak my finger and toe nails for 1 hr in ice during the treatment. Sometimes I struggle with anxiety at the thought of the treatment and the unknown reactions I may have. At the same time I know that once this is over I am one step closer to the end of the treatments. So I go forward and will try to do so with serenity, wearing the new wings I received on the week-end.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Karen,
    I am praying for you today as you begin the new chemo medicine. May the Lord strengthen your inner 'woman' today and also your body.
    Thanks for posting as you continue this journey. My heart cries for what you are enduring, but also smiles and rejoices at the benefits that will be produced - "God never wastes pain" - as John R. will remind us. So glad that you have a great support system in place with Daniel, Katherine and Rachel to care about and for you.
    I am holding you close to my heart even though there are many miles between us.
    Love you.
    Cindy Walter

    ReplyDelete