Monday, December 15, 2014

1 week mark

Well, it has been 1 week since my first chemo treatment folllowed by the injections (1 to go). People have often asked me during this time: "So, how are you feeling?" "Are you having any side effects?" What to answer...? well, it depends on when you ask me, because it changes, often, many times a day... for instance last Thursday morning I went ice skating with Rachel. Flying around the ice on my skates, feeling the breeze, I felt great! I even said to myself: "hey, this chemo isn't so bad after all - I'm doing OK!" Then 2 hrs later I can hardly see straight as I make it up the stairs to crash in my bed, calling behind : "Don't forget to wake me for my injection at 3:30!" That has been my new normal - not knowing what to expect, day in day out, one hour at a time...

Yeah, I have had some side effects - fatigue, nausea, heart burn, shortness of breath, weird taste in mouth, weird cravings for foods (reminds me of pregnancy days!), but nothing that can't be controlled by meds or resting. I guess the hardest part is not the physical side effects, but this getting used to the "new me" or should I say "the ever-changing me".

Through it all, one truth that has comforted my heart and sustained me this week is that my Lord never changes. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Heb. 13:8 No matter what I go through or how I feel, He's always the same - always loving, always taking care of me. Nothing surprises Him. He has all this under control, even if I feel totally out of control. I rest in that truth.

Some good news - the biopsy of the lymph nodes showed no trace of cancer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment